An Inclusive Litany

2/14/98

Letter to the editor, the Portland, Oregon, Willamette Week, September 3, 1997:

Please retract the following errors from your May 14 article:

  1. In the third sentence of the fourth paragraph, you imply that Jack Hessel is the "owner of Portland's Hessel Tractor." Please retract. He is the chairman of the board.

  2. In the same sentence you state that I "killed Heidi Dozler in 1988." I actually did this in October of 1989. Please retract.

  3. Also in the same sentence you state that I killed her "after the pair smoked a few rocks of crack cocaine." We actually smoked one small $10 rock of cocaine, not a "few rocks." This also implies that I killed her as a result of drug use when the state's own expert on crack said this was impossible. As you well know, but have failed to say in any of the four articles about me printed in the last seven and a half years, I killed Ms. Dozler after she bit my penis. Please retract and clarify.

Brian Hessel
Inmate,
Oregon Department of Corrections