An Inclusive Litany

6/1/92

From a handwritten "Motion for special jury selection" filed in February 1992 by Harry Veltman III, who was tried in U.S. District Court in California for sending "obscene and threatening" letters and photographs to Katarina Witt, the German ice skater. Veltman acted as his own attorney, and his motion was denied:
Comes now the defendant, Harry Veltman III, pro se:

Any typical jury might convict me on all charges out of prejudice because of the bad publicity I have received through television, radio, and newspapers, and/or because of the erotic love letters and photos that I sent.

A jury of nymphomaniacs would not likely be prejudiced against me because of my erotic love letters and photos. Therefore I request a jury of nymphomaniacs, or at least a jury with several nymphomaniacs, including Racquel Darrien, of Hustler's "Call of the Wild" photo spread; Danielle, a Hustler Honey; Stephanie Seymour, the famous Almay supermodel; and Katarina Witt, to whom I mailed the letters and photos.

I further require a jury consisting of 50 percent atheists and agnostics, to avoid domination by religious self-righteous hypocrites, who might convict me blindly on all charges after seeing even one erotic photo or reading one erotic letter.